iOS is a proprietary mobile operating system created and developed by Apple Inc. exclusively for its hardware (iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch). At first, Apple did not specify a separate name for the operating system. In June 2010, Apple rebranded iPhone OS as “iOS”.
Apple’s App Store contains more than 2.2 million iOS applications. The iOS user interface is based on direct manipulation, using multi-touch gestures. iOS has four abstraction layers: the Core OS, Core Services, Media, and Cocoa Touch layers.
The latest version of iOS is 10.3 Beta 1 released on January 24, 2017. Few of its features are:
- There’s a new “Find My AirPods” tool in Find My iPhone to help users locate lost AirPods.
- Siri can now display cricket scores from the Indian Premier League and the International Cricket Council. Siri has been updated to pay bills, check on the status of payments, and schedule future rides for apps that support it. Users can say something to Siri such as “Hey Siri, open the App Store” and there will be an arrow at the top left of the iOS status bar to jump back to the Siri interface.
- The weather icon in the Maps app includes 3D Touch to show hourly forecasts.
- An option has been introduced to where users can now quickly favourite or dislike news channels from the “Explore” section or the news channel that is currently open.
- The iCloud tab now displays the user’s name and picture along with the email address associated with their Apple ID.
- Other Improvements compared to previous versions
- Fixes the 30% battery bug that was present.
- The system is now slightly more responsive.
- Facemarks have been shuffled around in the Chinese and Japanese keyboard layouts.
Apple Inc. provides updates to the iOS operating system for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod through iTunes and since iOS5.0, over the air software updates. Data synchronizing can happen automatically and wirelessly through Apple’s iCloud service.
Latest Version of Apple next generation for 2019 iOS 13 is announced on June 3 at Worldwide Developers Conference(WWDC).
The advanced in-built features are atmost to the verge of technology advancement that are sorted out below:
- The optimization trend introduced in iOS 12 is further designed to be fast and more efficient in current version.
- The application launching time is made two times faster with downloadable size reduced by 50% and 30% faster in face recognization.
- System wide dark mode option that works well with all native Apple app and third-party apps.
- iOS 13 introduced the streamlined, less obtrusive volume HUD which allows downloading apps of any size in LTE connection without untethering from wifi.
- Apple added a new Sign In with Apple privacy feature that holds up the convenience and keeps data safe while signing into apps or websites.
- Randomized e-mail address with two-factor authentication and updated map apps featuring broad road coverage, better pedestrian data and precise addresses.
- Siri has all new voice that sounds natural with suggested automation feature. Siri now supports Live Radio.
- CarPlay is overhauled with a custom dashboard view for music, apps, maps and much more.
- iPadOS has updated the home screen with two windows open at the same time.
Advantages of iOS over other mobile OS
- Interface – iOS is perfectly uniform across iPhones and iPads because there are no alternative user interfaces on top of iOS. The end result is a cleaner, more attractive OS on every iPhone. The latest software is also immediately available to iPhone users.
- Apps – The best mobile games land on iOS first. The design of iOS apps is also more uniform and stylish.
- App Store usability – The App Store beats both the Google Play and Windows Mobile store with its recommendations for new apps, sales on expensive apps and games, and simpler interface.
- OS Updates – Apple’s iOS is the only mobile OS that offers consistent and timely software updates and security patches.
- Calls and messaging – FaceTime and iMessage come pre-installed on every iPhone and iPad, so it’s remarkably easy to connect.
- Peripherals – Apple has built up a great ecosystem of peripherals for its phones and tablets.
- Security – Apple also prioritizes user privacy. Personal data is not stored or read by Apple. It is all encrypted.
- Camera – For ease of use and best results without tweaking, the iOS camera app takes the cake.
- Simplicity – iOS is simpler and easier to use, its uniform across all iOS devices, it’s less cluttered and more streamlined than most others.
Do you need a native iOS, Android or windows App? Or a cross platform apps using iOS we have got accomplished all of it and might excel your expectation. Colan InfoTech is a fast growing mobility consulting and solutions enterprise with global clients, numerous portfolios and niche competencies. We focus on making mobility a game changer for corporations and clients. We are enthusiastic about developing apps that look incredible, engage the consumer, and deliver tangible ROI.